Do you love the character Garfield? Who doesn’t; the over-sized tabby is amongst the most popular comic characters of all times. Garfield’s obsessive craving for juicy lasagna may earn him brownie points (pun intended!), but in real life, it would ensure a trip to the dieticians’ clinic. His nonchalant attitude makes no difference to his weight troubles whatsoever, but would not have taken him far in the real world.
It goes without saying – in reality it is a tad difficult to feel great about being overweight. Weight loss or control is a commitment which you need to keep for a lifetime. You should have what it takes; to face the truth and introduce few lifestyle changes.
Actually, it is easier to take one baby step at a time, than pushing full steam into a weight loss program as per various researches conducted over the years.
Image Credit: o5com
A simple formula of burning more calories than your total intake works wonders than any fad diet. As per experts if your goal is to reduce 2 pounds a week, try to burn as many as 7000 calories. Why? Because 1 pound is the same as 3500 calories!
But how will you manage to achieve this goal? Follow a few easy (& obvious) guidelines to achieve your perfect weight (calculate your BMI first which is: BMI – [Weight in Pounds / (Height in inches x Height in inches)] x 703)
Simple Methods For Weight Loss
1. Set Simple Achievable Goals – Lose weight gradually as research indicates that people who lose their weight in achievable parts (e.g. a pound per week) have a better chance of maintaining their optimal weight.
2. Eat Small Portions – It is easy to stuff yourself with anything and everything resulting in weight gain. Stick to 5-6 small portion sized meals/snacks in a day so that your metabolism rate is maintained.
3. Do Not Miss Breakfast – Breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it helps to provide necessary energy to launch your day. Eat foods that are high in fiber such as cereals to make you feel full for longer duration. Add some low fat milk or yoghurt and you are ready to go.
4. Eat Foods From All Groups – Experts believe that it is better to add than to cut down. Hence increase your intake of high fiber foods such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables. This will automatically cut down the need for high calorie and high glycemic index foods. And since weight loss does not mean becoming unhealthy keep the nutritive value intact by eating food that offer benefits of proteins, carbohydrates with low glycemic index, vitamins, minerals, essential fats and amino acids.
5. Drink Water Aplenty – Water carries nutrition in the body and removes toxins. By replacing sugar and calorie laden juices and carbonated drinks with water, you will notice a drastic fall in your weight. For instance you can cut down as many as 150 calories by drinking one less can of soda per day.
6. Sufficient Snooze Time – Research indicates that people indulge in binge eating if they sleep less. So to aim for lesser calories increase your snooze time which ideally should be 7-8 hours for adults.
7. Build Muscles With Exercise – Exercising not only improves your metabolism but it also helps build muscle mass which again contributes to burning of comparatively more calories (as much as 35 – 50 calories for 1 pound of muscle). Opt for exercises which can be switched between high intensity and low intensity to avail optimal burnout. If you cannot exercise, take a walk down the block or climb stairs.
8. Track Changes – Keep tabs on how much you lose so that you are motivated to continue with your program. Seek support from family and friends to keep your motivation levels soaring.
And once you have lost weight, wear outfits that garner compliments. This will serve as an impetus to maintain your optimal body weight!
The author has been writing articles on health issues such as yoga, growth hormones, essential oils, hair care and acne solution.
- The Effective Ways to Lose Weight (detoxcleansing.org)
- Diet And Exercise To Lose More Weight (dietcleanse.org)